Re: RFC: using ld 2.14 on irix

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 04:32:57PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 08:08:12PM +0100, Richard Sandiford wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, the patch breaks mipsel-linux-gnu.  glibc seems to have
> > a very different idea about how to apply R_MIPS_REL32.  Looking at
> > dl-machine.h (2.2.5 and 2.3.2), it adjusts the GOT before applying any
> > relocations, then it adds the (final) GOT entries to the relocation fields.
>
> Blame the ABI for it.  What's documented in the 32-bit ABI document just
> cannot work at all; the 64-bit ABI document fixed this mistake.
>
> > Am I going insane, or is there really a fundamental difference here?
> > If the latter, is it a known problem?  I don't see how we can keep
> > both glibc and irix rld happy.
>
> You understood the problem.  Since my patch to fix this was refused because
> it was breaking broken Linux binaries I've fixed this in private in the
> binutils etc. version that I'm shipping on linux-mips.org.  So if you're
> asking me, go ahead, shoot to kill ;-)
>
> (Yes, due to the so much better code generator of IRIX having the same
> binary format is a must for some people!)

The last time I spoke to you about this, I got the impression that the
only problem you'd found was the one we solved by switching relocs
against local symbols to be against symbol 0.  Now are you saying that
you found this problem with global symbols too?

And that the versions of binutils and glibc on linux-mips.org are
binary incompatible with the rest of the world?  Ugh!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz