Re: [patch] MIPS/Linux: Let one select the default ABI for64-bit

At Tue, 20 May 2003 21:04:26 +0000 (UTC), "Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:
>  I propose to add another CPU configuration name, specifically "mipsn32"
> to select the n32 ABI and let "mips64" mean (n)64.  This way, for a given
> system configuration, a proper canonical triplet exists and for 64-bit
> MIPS/Linux native configurations config.guess could select between the
> o32, n32 and (n)64 ABIs, based on what installed tools produce by default.

OK, what configuration names do you use for "n32 with specific cpu"?

e.g. mipsisa64sb1-linux is the name that would obviously be the
"64-bit configuration for linux, arch/tune for SB-1 by default."

likewith with, say, "mips64vr-linux" or something.  (who knows 8-)

How do those fit into your scheme?

Other points against this:

* most users will want n32, not n64.  Faster, smaller.  Slightly more
  limited, but not in ways most people need.

* the defaults for irix are n32, not n64.

I.e., don't make people select wacked-out target names for the thing
that they want most often, and keep the defaults for targets similar
to what they expect.

Are the gcc and glibc people going to buy into these names?  Doubt it.

Seems like, if anything, you want something with --with-abi that iirc
Daniel? has been working on for gcc?

cgd