Re: forwarded message from H. J. Lu

> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 04:03:52PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Sorry, please do not install the patch.  The bug is in milli64.S.
> > Operands, including those in directives, are supposed to be separated
> > by commas.  No whitespace is allowed.
> >
> > It seems an improvement to binutils has exposed the typo in milli64.S,
> > although I must say the error message is misleading.
>
> Rejecting innocuous whitespace hardly seems an improvement.

OK, I've changed my mind.  I did a little testing and the HP assembler
actually allows whitespace, although the manual does not indicate that
this is allowed.  Thus, we should do the same.

However, I'm still not sure Lu's patch is the correct approach.  I'm
guessing but I think the problem is due to the recent #APP/#NO_APP
change.  I suspect that we were always scrubbing whitespace before.
The documentation states that if the first line of an input file is
#NO_APP, white space and comments are not removed from the input
file.  I assume then that the previous default behavior was to
scrub whitespace when a file didn't start with #NO_APP.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)