Re: PATCH: Why does gas put padding on ia64?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:21:00PM -0400, Jim Wilson wrote:
> H. J. Lu wrote:
> > Here is a patch to remove it. I can delete md_section_align instead of
> > commenting it out.
>
> This looks OK to me.  I don't know the consequences of changing section
> alignment though.

It doesn't change the section alignment. It just removes the padding
to the section to get its size to the muliple of the section alignment.
Ld should pad the current section to align the next section when it
combines 2 sections. Consider you combind 2 sections. First one has
alignment of 4K and the section one has alignment of 16. There is no
need to pad the first one to 4K.

H.J