Creating .note sections

How do people reccomend I go about programmaticly adding a .note section
to an already-existing (ELF format) binary *and* have it's type set to
PT_NOTE? Is it possible to just create the section normally, then
somehow patch the section type later sensibly?

I've tried looking at the source code for GNU ld etc. But to be honest,
It's got me flummoxed. Well, I've found a reference in the linker script
lexer, but it's going to take a while to dig through.

Thanks in advance for your help ... :)
--
Ceri Storey <cez at necrofish dot org dot uk>