How can I compile binutils for i686-pc-cygwin under Linux?

Hi guys,
	I want to rebuild binutils package for cygwin. I've tried to configure and
built them under cygwin, configuration seemd to be good but make failed. So
I decided to move under Linux to try a cross compiling. The make worked but
the result was that all the bin files were in ELF format.
	So maybe it's a silly question but a can manage with this problem? Should I
build binutils unser Linux and then translate to PE format ???? Is the
configuration script able to do this or I should help him :) ? If so how?
	Is there a way to compile binutils under cygwin directly ?

	If this is a known problem where I can find the hints ?

																Thanx to all

Antonio R. Costa
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Costa;Antonio;Raffaele
FN:Antonio Raffaele Costa
NICKNAME:Antonio R. Costa
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:acosta at ipitec dot com
EMAIL;INTERNET:acosta at ipitec dot it
REV:20020422T094743Z
END:VCARD