Re: PATCH: Add STO_COPY

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:09:47AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> H. J. Lu wrote:
>
> > Protected symbol is added to gABI for people to use. People are using
> > it.
>
> I haven't seen anybody using it.  And if somebody is using it they
> better reconsider it.
>

> > I have a problem for ld to knowingly create DSOs which won't work
> > right. We should either support protected symbol with copy relocation
> > or refuse to generate such DSOs.
>
> It's people who knowingly create DSOs which don't work, not ld.  ld
> doesn't introduce protected symbols silently.  And people better know
> what they are doing.

I am not here to judge how protected symbols should be used. I don't
see gABI mention there is any limitation on protected symbols. We
didn't realize that we don't correctly handle protected symbols with
copy relocation until very recently. Since the i386 psABI predates
the current gABI, I have no problem with such a limitation and to
warn users about it.

H.J.