mips fp/s8 usage in objdump

Hello,

Due to the differing use of fp/s8 is there a reason s8 was selected as
default? In my experience s8 has been used as fp.  It seems to be
default in my gcc toolchain to use it as fp rather than s8.  Could this
be reflected in objdump by using the default, or an option to allow
either format?

Something like "-M reg-name-std" etc would be a good way to specify a
different ABI than the default, as seems to be used for ARM.  I think
there might be a MIPS ABI name for fp usage, but can't remember the name.

Please include my email address in replies.

Regards

JG