do_scrub_chars with mnemonics following labels

Hi,

I'm working on porting binutils to the TIC55x and I'm having a problem
with the do_scrub_chars function. When it processes a line with a label
followed by an mnemonic it removes all the spaces after the mnemonic. So
this line:

"label: mov *ar1,t0"
becomes
"label: mov*ar1,t0"

If the label and mnemonic are on different lines then the space is not
removed. Also if the '*' is not used, then the space is not removed As
in:

"label2: mov ar1,t0"
Above, the scrubbing doesn't remove anything.

Is there a compile flag I can change to make the scrubbing work as I
want? or does the scrub routine need to be changed?

BTW, My port is posted at http://c55x-binutils.sourceforge.net/
I plan to submit my code to the main branch in the future and I have
filled out some paperwork with the FSF.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Kerry
--
Kerry Keal <kerry at industrialmusic dot com>