Re: Binutils failures on cygwin: what about .exe?

Hi ChJ,

> I just came to think of the failures of binutils we're seeing on
> cygwin, see for example
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2003-02/msg00149.html, in some
> may be related to the fact that executables have .exe added to
> them.
>
> For example, looking at
> src/binutils/testsuite/binutils-all/objcopy.exp, lines 465 and
> forward:
>
> proc copy_executable { prog flags test1 test2 } {
>
>     if [is_remote host] {
> 	set testfile [remote_download host tmpdir/testprog];
> 	set testcopy copyprog
>     } else {
> 	set testfile tmpdir/testprog
> 	set testcopy tmpdir/copyprog
>     }
>     remote_file host delete $testcopy;
>
>     set exec_output [binutils_run $prog "$flags $testfile $testcopy"]
>
> Could we either have the binutils testsuite always producing .exe
> endings for executables (yeah, shouldn't be needed, but makes the
> testsuite more portable perhaps) or could we fix the testsuite so that
> any system producing .exe endings by default for their executables
> also checks for such things, not endingless...

Another possibility would be to add code to 'proc remote_download'
that tests for the existence of 'file'.  If it does not but 'file.exe'
does exist then it could automatically add the .exe extension.  That
way the problem would cured for all testsuites that create executables
and download them to a Cygwin host, not just this particular test
script.