PPC E500 chip -- what are the -m switches supposed to be?

We (CodeSourcery) have a client who is trying to use GCC to generate
code for the new PPC E500 chip.  This chip has a bunch of special
instructions that are supported by both GCC 3.3 and binutils 2.13, but
the command line switches to enable that support are inconsistent
between GCC and binutils.  GCC wants -mcpu=8540 -me500, whereas GAS
seems to want -mbooke.  The inconsistency means that the assembler
bombs out if you try to use gcc -c.  Also, there is no documentation
for any of these options.

What are the switches supposed to be?  How should we resolve the
inconsistency between GCC and binutils?

zw