Re: (toplevel patch) Use canonical names for target_subdir, build_subdir.

On Jan 24, 2003, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> Use the canonical build and target names for build_subdir and target_subdir.

Not ok.  athlon-linux-gnu is canonicalized to i686-linux-gnu, so we
can't use the same directories for both of them.  (Consider building a
compiler on athlon that must run on i686, or on the other way round).

I see where you're coming from, but we're really going to have to bite
the bullet and duplicate autoconf 2.5x's behavior WRT machine name
variables, or convince autoconf folks to give us some means to obtain
the defaulted values, which shouldn't be too hard.  Say, if configure
could set {build,host,target}_noncanonical to whatever autoconf 2.13
used to set as {build,host,target}_alias, we'd be all set.  Bonus
points of they actually agree to go back to setting the _alias
variables in a backward-compatible way, while setting _cmdline to
whatever was passed in the command line.