dividing of literal values in gas 2.10.1 versus 2.13.x

I'm using inline asm in gcc to insert the following:

.byte (123/10)

when it goes through the assembler it reports:
{standard input}:57: Error: Missing ')' assumed

I'm having the problem with 'GNU assembler 2.10.1'

It works perfectly in 'GNU assembler 2.13.90.0.16 20021126'

Unfortunetly to continue to get support from our vendor I have to use the GNU tools they gave us. (and they weren't able to give me an answer to this problem).

I am looking to divide literal values in gas is all. Just using that .byte line to test it out. Once I can get division to work again I will beable to put together the whole thing (it uses macros to paste XML into a special section of an ELF file used with the offline debugging and tracing tools we developed). That way when you hit a trace macro it writes a small 16 or 32 byte entry but can have lots of interesting things attached to it like the filename, linenumber, functionname, a printf-style string for the data, etc.

--
 Jon Mayo
 (408)503-4207