Fw: [Mingw-users] linker question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Brandmeyer" <...>
To: <mingw-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Monday, 6 January 2003 17:20
Subject: [Mingw-users] linker question

> The GCC manual says that using -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections
can
> be useful for some targets whose linker can take advantage of it.  Can
the
> current MinGW ld make use of it or not?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan Brandmeyer

The above was posted to mingw users list.  My understanding is
that --gc-sections is not supported for pe-coff targets, but only for
elf targets.  Is that correct?

I also read in gcc info files:
"Only use these options when there are significant benefits from doing
so. When you specify these options, the assembler and linker will create
larger object and executable files and will also be slower."

Also, by default, libstdc++-v3 is built with these options. If there are
no significant benefits. this needs to be changed for mingw32 and
cygwin.

Danny