Re: contributing to binutils.

Hi Dmitry,

> I maintain a binutils port for msp430 embedded processor.
> This is  proven to be stable for about a year.
> Considering all the paper work has been done is it possible to add this
> architecture to the binutils tree?

Certainly, please follow this procedure:

  * Check over your port - try to make sure that the GNU Coding
    conventions have been followed.  Make sure that you have created
    a gas testsuite directory to test your assembler and
    disassembler.  If you have features specific to your architecture
    in the linker as well, then create a linker testsuite directory,
    in order to test these.  Make sure that you have created
    documentation for your port.  You will want to add a
    gas/doc/c-<your_architecture>.texi file at the very least.

  * Break the port up into patches on a per-directory basis.  ie one
    patch for the gas/ directory (and sub-directories of gas), one
    patch for the bfd/ directory, one for ld/, one for opcodes/ and so
    on.  Please use the "-c3p" option to diff in order to make the
    patches.  Please base the patch against the current binutils
    sources in the CVS repository.

  * Please create a ChangeLog entry for each of the patches.  These
    entries should be in plain text, (ie not presented as patches).
    They should describe what the patch is doing in each directory.
    Please try to follow the format of other entries in the
    ChangeLog.

  * When everything is ready, mail the patches, together with their
    ChangeLog entries to the binutils mailing list, one mail per
    directory/patch.  It helps if you can bzip the patches, to reduce
    the size of the emails.

  * Wait a bit to give me time to go through your patch, check over it
    and make sure that it works.  I should then respond with a message
    acknowledging your patch and saying that it has been applied, or
    else rejecting it, and explaining what it wrong/what needs to be
    fixed.  Sometimes I am backlogged with other things though, so if
    you have not heard back from me in a couple of weeks, feel free to
    ping me directly to find out what is going on.