Re: ld won't complain if asked to link obj files of different arches

Hi H.J.

> >   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-12/msg00361.html
>
> It doesn't say if the resulting binary is working or not.

I think that his point was that he did not want it to work.  it was
supposed to have triggered an error response from the linker and it
did not.

> > Besides I do not think that we can reply upon the presence of "alien"
> > relocs or similar in order to trigger a warning/error message from the
> > linker.  If the user is linking in an unknown format binary then they
>
> Why not, if the linker does the right thing for the given input?

But if the linker cannot recognise the input architecture, how can it
be sure that it is doing the right thing ?

> I don't think ld should second guess what the input should be.

Agreed, but I do not think that the linker should accept unknown inputs
without at least warning the user, and better yet, requiring that the
user explicitly tell the linker that it is OK to accept these unknown
input files.