Re: ld won't complain if asked to link obj files of different arches

Hi H.J.

> I am not sure if it is necessary. I'd like to see a real testcase
> first. That is the linker doesn't complain and the resulting binary
> is wrong. For all I know, the linker will complain if it can't handle
> the input.

Well Alex did include a simple test case in his original posting:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-12/msg00361.html

Besides I do not think that we can reply upon the presence of "alien"
relocs or similar in order to trigger a warning/error message from the
linker.  If the user is linking in an unknown format binary then they
really should know what they are doing, and it is not unreasonable to
require that they use a command line option to confirm to the linker
that they want the link to happen.

Still I am open to debate on this issue, which is why I posted the
patch without applying it.