Decompilation

Hello,

I am currently working on some decompilation methods/ideas. I have been looking at the suitability of implementing using the GNU tools as a base. I realise this is a very complex process, so would like to ask peoples opinions before diving in and coding in all the wrong places.

I would like to achive something similar to the way that gcc is the front end for compiling. For each of the stages below I would welcome sugested areas of binutils/GCC that I should focus my work on. I have been modifying objdump to produce the intermediate code. Clearly a lot of new code needs to be written to complete this work. If anyone has sugestions for the direction I should take this is welcome.

Stage 1: Front end
Input machine code binary
Disassemble
Abstract intermediate code generation
Intermediate code output

Stage 2: Universal decompilation machine (UDM)
CFG generation
CFG analysis
Data Format analysis

Stage 3: Backend HLL target