ld Support

Hi,

I am trying to configure binutils-2.10 on my OS/390 V2R10 Unix System
Services side and am getting the message:

checking whether environ must be declared... (cached) yes
checking whether ANSI C string concatenation works... yes
*** ld does not support target i370-ibm-openedition
*** see ld/configure.tgt for supported targets
Configure in /i/binutils-2.10/ld failed, exiting.

I tried setting LD=c89 (the USS linker), but still got the same message.  I
am just beginning my trek into the Unix world (at this level) and am
running into these types of issues.  The reason I am loading binutils is
that when I attempted to configure gnu's make, I got:

configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH

It seems that no matter what I attempt (and I'm looking at binutils as the
lowest level requirment to build make, then the compiler, then the OpenSSH
suite....), I am always missing something....

Thanks,
Terry Masters

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.