Re: While we are discussing new ports... :)

Svein E. Seldal wrote:

I think it's great that someone (TM) is working on a MCS-51 port!! There are *many* occations where I wish I had a gcc/binutils MCS-51 compiler.

I had the same frustration at many occasions... That's why I want to start this project! Unfortunately, I am not a compiler/assembler/linker expert programmer... Be prepared to get some other questions about binutils... :-)

BTW, are you aware of the small device c compiler package: http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/ I'm uncertain if the binutils functionality (like as, ld, etc) is included in the sdcc package, or if they rely on 3rd party tools. But IMHO I would prefer that sdcc would merge with gcc/binutils somehow. I'd rather have and use binutils/gcc over sdcc, because of the same reasons that I prefer avr-gcc instead of commercial c-compilers (I wont list the reasons here).

Yes, I looked at the SDCC project. But I think that it is like "reinventing the wheel" because of all the effort they put on writing a whole compiler. I totally agree with you : they should join their effort to the binutils/gcc project...

Stéphane