Re: Drop the K&R requirement from binutils?

> On the technical side, it is interesting to note that the current gcc sources
> no longer support K&R C as an input language.  This will go out as part of
> the next major gcc release, e.g. gcc-3.3.  We still have K&R C preprocessor
> support for programs like imake, and we still have a -Wtraditional option,
> but there is no longer any -traditional option, and hence no way to tell gcc
> that the input is K&R C.  And yet we still use K&R C to write gcc, or more
> properly the common subset of K&R C and ISO C90.

This is not my understanding of the GCC SC decision.  It was made prior
to the recent version renumbering.  So, I believe that HPUX users should
still be able to bootstrap 3.3 with a traditional C compiler.  The
committee intended to revisit the issue for the following series (see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-06/msg00871.html>) but a final decision
on conversion wasn't made.

The 64-bit HPUX support is still very much a work in progress.  A
reliable bootstrap of GCC and binutils has only been achieved in the
past several months.  Thus, I hope the K&R features can be kept
a while longer.

Dave