Re: [Revised patch] Rework MIPS command-line handling

At 23 Jul 2002 18:04:32 +0100, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> cgd@broadcom.com writes:
> > >
> > > Sort of.  The only checks of the ABI in gas are for:
> >
> > Err, so, does it handle/produce all of the relocations, etc. specified
> > by that ABI properly?  (doesn't sound like it, from what you said...)
>
> Dunno off-hand.  That was "sort of" as in "as well as gas knows how".
> I certainly can't claim to have audited gas for ABI compliance.

Well, if gas knows how 'well enough' it should support the flag.

> But as far as this particular patch goes, I don't think it alters
> gas's handling of "MEABI" code, beyond the generic changes discussed.

Indeed, but it adds a special case to other (gcc) code, which others
will have to worry about maintaining in the future.

If there's no reason to add that special case, then best to avoid it
up front.

cgd