Re: tic30 and tic4x targets

Hi Svein,

> Is there anyone working on or assigned to a tic4x port for the
> binutils?

Assigned is the wrong word in this case, since this is a volunteer
effort, not a paid-for project.  But anyway the short answer is no,
there is nobody currently acting as a maintainer for the tic4x port.
(Timothy Wall is the maintainer for the tic54x port, which is
presumably a similar kind of chip from TI, but it is not the same as
the c4x).

> What is the "requirements" for getting a patch into the official
> tree?

First of all the copyright holder(s) for the code that you want to
contribute need to obtain an copyright assignment to the FSF.  This
allows the FSF to accept the code into the source tree.  I am
attaching a request form at the end of this email.

Next you need to check that the code is working and can be applied
against the current CVS sources.  Finally you need to contribute the
patch.  If the patch covers a large number of files - making it big -
then it is best to break it up into a number of postings (eg one per
top-level directory).

> What is the story on the tic30 target? Is it still alive? I cant
> seem to see any activity on it.

It does not seem to be active at the moment.  There may well be users
of the port, but if they exist they are either happy with the code or
not ready/willing to contribute at the moment.