Re: MIPS_STABS_ELF is now broken

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 08:31:42AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 11:59:06PM -0700, Eric Christopher wrote:
> >
> > > 2002-06-10  H.J. Lu <hjl@gnu.org>
> > >
> > > 	* config/tc-mips.c (s_mips_file): Never pass the first .file
> > > 	directive to dwarf.
> > >

> > Daniel solved this a different way, by adjusting the file directives
> > that come out of gcc. See the patch he posted to gcc-local and I was
> > meaning to test a few days ago.
> >

> How does it work with gcc 2.96? I don't want to modify gcc 2.96 for that.
> The fact is before that change, everything works fine. I don't believe
> modifying gcc is the solution. Are you going to offer the new gcc binary
> for each different version of Linux/mips gcc? In any case, I will fix it
> in my Linux binutils if you plan not to support the existing Linux/mips
> gcc binary.

HJ, the debug information being emitted by GCC is obviously in error.
If you ignore the first .file directive, you will then not accept
_VALID_ DWARF-2 debug information.  You can't have it both ways.  This
is not the first time recently that an advance in GCC or binutils for
Linux/MIPS has required a corresponding advance in the other.

Eric, if you think this sort of compatibility is important we could
accept HJ's patch to ignore the first .file directive, and modify GCC
to emit '.file "dummy"' or the like to make the situation clear.  I
think this will just hurt our interactions with other assemblers,
though.  We should probably talk about this.