Re: Changing GAS for ARM to accept semicolon as a comment character ?

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 11:53:56AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
>   GAS for the ARM currently supports ';' as a line separator character
>   and '@' as a line comment character.  Would anyone object to my
>   changing this so that ';' was also a line comment character and
>   dropping the support for multiple instructions on a single line ?
>   (Or else choosing a different character for a line separator).

That would break the ability to do stuff like:

#define BLAH(x,y)  mov r0, x; mov t1, y; bl foo

which is used widely within kernel and (iirc) glibc sources.  (You can't
embed newlines in the middle of preprocessor gunk.)  In fact, ';' was added
specifically so we could build the kernel with the GNU toolchain.