Re: [Linux-ia64] epilogue count exceeds number of nested prologues

Hi Randolph,

  Randolph> Hi all,
  Randolph> While trying to compile mozilla with libffi, the configure phase
  Randolph> dies with a message:

  Randolph> Error: Epilogue count of 4294967296 exceeds number of nested prologues
  Randolph> (0)

  Randolph> I see that this message comes from a patch submitted by David in
  Randolph> February. Is libffi broken? What is needed to fix it?

  Randolph> The offending assembly code is attached. it's the ".restore sp"
  Randolph> near the end that is triggering the error.

I'm unable to reproduce this.  If I'm understanding you right, the
problem occurred during the configure phase of mozilla (not libffi).
I just rebuilt Mozilla from the current CVS tree with gcc3.1
pre-release and the current CVS binutils.  It built just fine and the
resulting binary seems to work flawlessly.

>From the assembly code you provided, it looks as if conftest.c tried
to call FFI_STATIC_CLOSURE() from within a function, which can't
possibly work.

Can you provide a more precise pointer where this conftest.c is being
generated?

Thanks,

	--david