Re: gprof/sprof and shared libraries...again

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 11:29, H . J . Lu wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong.  Ulrich was trying to say "LD_PROFILE
> intercepts the calls to every exported interface made from a DSO."

No.  It intercepts all calls to an exported DSO interface.  Use

  LD_PROFILE=libc.so.6 /bin/ls

and you'll see the function calls ls makes in the sprof output.  It
might also notice the calls made from inside the DSO but this is an
implementation detail.  As long as a PLT entry is used you'll see the
result in the profile.