Re: 2.12.x branch future?

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 11:43:01PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> I don't mean they need to be any more sorted by date than they normally
> are; I mean that people should continue to add them at the top when
> they do the merge to the branch, rather than in the corresponding place
> where they are on the mainline.  I'd like them in the order the patches
> appeared on the branch.

I have found this to be a nice way to doing ChangeLog's on a branch:

    2001-06-11  Alan Modra  <amodra@bigpond.net.au>

        Merge from mainline.
        2001-03-23  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>
        * README-maintainer-mode: Add note about inability to use "make
        distclean" in maintainer mode.

can we agree to us this style -- it being the main "by line" is the date
the change is committed, but the "what changed" also includes the
original by-line of the mainline (thus makes it easier to track back to
mainline, and also gives credit to the original author of the change).