Re: Special names tha ld needs to recognize for hppa64-hp-hpux11.X

> In message <200201221906.g0MJ6QN5015867@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>, "John David Anglin
> " writes:
>  > In looking at the gcc testresults for hppa64-hp-hpux11.00, I noticed that
>  > there is a problem with linking using binutils ld when "-static" was
>  > specified.  You get the following error:
> [ ... ]

>  > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best handle the definition
>  > of these special symbols in ld?  I am guessing that "_end" and related
>  > symbols must already be handled because that's pretty standard.
> I'd been defining them in the PA64 specific linker emulation script
> (elf64hppa.sh).  It's likely further changes to those files will be
> needed over time to bring the PA64 GNU tools closer to conformance with
> the behavior of HP's tools.
>
> I do know when I did the initial development that static linking worked --
> because that's what we relied upon in the early development before we
> actually supported shared libraries.
>
> Note that static linking still produces a "dynamic" binary for PA64.  Fun
> fun.

I have looked a bit more into this problem and it appears more difficult
to solve than first thought.  We can't just provide these symbols because
they are provided by the dynamic loader.  Because static linking still
produces a "dynamic" binary, we need to allow undefined dynamic-loader
absolute symbols in static links.  This is what the HP linker does.
If we produced a true static binary, the linker would have to provide
these symbols.

It looks like elf-hppa.h needs to be hacked but I have the sense that
the generic elf code may not like undefined symbols from archive libraries.
Any suggestions?

Dave