Re: Fwd: Re: Alpha Toolchain not compiling --BFD problem

Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Thiemo,
>
> > > /mnt/u2/toolchain/buildsys/source/toolchain/bfd/archive.c:940:
> > > undefined reference to `bfd_elf64_archive_slurp_armap'
> >
> > This function was part of elf64-mips.c before (and differently
> > named).  It is called from bfd_slurp_armap() in order to support
> > reading (Irix6-style) MIPS ELF64 archives.
> >
> > Since the MIPS ELF64 spec claims this archive support to be generic
> > for ELF64, I enclosed it only in "BFD64" defines -- obviously a
> > misassumption.
> >
> > AFAICS it should only get called for MIPS targets.
> > Ideas how to handle this?
>
> Is this still an issue ?  Didn't your changes to add archive64.c fix
> this ?

I don't know if it is an issue.
The ELF64 archive support is now compiled in for every BFD64 toolchain
and allows ar/ranlib to read/write these. I suspect these use the
ELF64-style armap now for any ELF64 object files, possibly breaking
compatibility and standards. OTOH, nobody has complained about such
archives yet, so my assumption might be wrong.

Can somebody explain what archive format the Alpha is using (is
there actually no support files larger than 2GB)?

Thiemo