Re: Macros and K&R

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:

> > There are still systems out there which have only K&R C compilers.
> > People on those systems can compile gcc, but in some cases they also
> > need the binutils to be working in order to use gcc.  Therefore, gcc
> > and the binutils continue to stick to K&R C.
>

> But is this realistic?
>
> A target so old that it doesn't have some sort of ISO C compiler is
> probably so pathetically under powered that it will take a month to to
> even stage1 build GCC from scratch.

The canonical operating systems to think about are pre-Solaris SunOS,
and HP/UX.  Both ship with a K&R C compiler (although I admittedly
don't know about the most recent versions of HP/UX).  Both are
reasonably widely used.  Both come on machines easily powerful enough
to compile gcc.

I recommend a simple approach for the binutils: stick to K&R until gcc
changes.

Ian