Re: ebcdic support for binutils...

esp5@rama.comp.pge.com writes:

> hm. That's better? What happens when you get 50 different charsets?

Since that will never happen, the question is pointless.  We've had
two character sets used in programming languages for 30 years, and one
of them is almost never used and only exists today for reasons of
backward compatibility.  It's hard to imagine introducing even a third
character set, much less fifty.

(Note that, obviously, the character set used in a programming
language is only slightly related to the character sets used for I/O.
There are a number of character sets used for I/O, although since most
are a slice of ISO 10646 there may still be less than fifty overall.)

Ian