Retargeting gas to VLIW architectures?

If there is a better forum for this topic please point
me in the right direction and I'll take this
discussion
elsewhere.

I'm looking for information on retargeting gas to
VLIW or DSP machines. Any pointers to documentation on
this topic (or retargeting gas in general) would
be appreciated. If you have done
something similar I would appreciate hearing from you.

Is such a thing (retargeting to VLIW or DSP or other
such architectures) even feasible with gas?
Any pointers to such an implementation would be
appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Jim