Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

> Please don't mix gcc with gas. You don't have to use gcc to create a binary.

That's irrelevant. People use gcc with gas.

> > gcc -mips2 -march=vr4100
>
> I don't think we should allow this. We should issue a warning if not an
> error.
>
> > gcc -mips2 -Wa,-march=vr4100
>
> Why should gcc care -Wa?

The point was that these two things are _very_ close together and have
_very_ different behaviors. I want to keep the interfaces between the
two as close as possible.

> > Will cause widely different results. This, to my mind, is confusing and
>
> gas and gcc happen to have same options. Yes, they may have slightly
> different meanings. Please keep in mind that
>
> 1. For gcc, -mxxx means to generate asm code for xxx.
> 2. For gas, -mxxx means to accept asm code for xxx.
>
> They have different meanings anyway. Should we allow
>
> # as -mips2 -m4100
>
> or something like that, but not
>
> # as -mips2 -march=vr4100

We should not allow either of them. I'm working on patches to fix this.

> FYI, the current binutils is broken for Linux/mips because of it. We need
> a solution now.

In what way? Can you provide some more information? (All else fails the
current binutils is broken on a few mips targets, I was under the
impression that Linux/mips worked at the moment).

-eric

--
Look out behind you!