-Tbss on ELF harmful?

One of our customers has pointed out that -Tbss doesn't work with ELF
because the __bss_start symbol is not actually inside the .bss
section, and thus won't get moved with it.  However, __bss_start also
encompasses .sbss, so we can't just move the symbol inside .bss to fix
it.  I can think of a couple of hacks to try to detect cases where it
breaks/works, but they're really hacks and still not 100% reliable.  I
hate to remove or deprecate it, because for some formats (like the
a.out it was designed for) it's an appropriate option.

What to do?  Ideas?  Opinions?