Re: Release 2.12

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:53:15AM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >The real question here is "why don't debian and hard hat use FSF
> >binutils releases in preference to HJ's releases?"
>
> Because, pretty clearly, FSF releases are still not happening often enough;
> bugs don't get fixed in a timely fashion.
>
> Having thought about the matter a bit in recent weeks, I think a release every
> two or three months would probably be about right, with maybe a patch version
> or two in the interim.  They need to be seldom enough for a reasonable amount
> of testing to go on -- distributions like Red Hat and Debian could probably
> tolerate more instability, because they do their own QA, but for individual
> users, particularly on slightly obscure platforms, it will take some care to
> make sure that each release doesn't just end up swapping one bug-of-the-day for
> another.

That is the goal you can never achieve. That is one of the main differences
between my binutils and the FSF binutils. Can show me an FSF binutils
release which has very few bugs? There is nothing wrong for a release
with some bugs. But there is something seriously wrong when you don't have
a new release to fix them very quickly.

H.J.