Re: GAS patch for sh*-unknown-linux-gnu

NIIBE Yutaka wrote:

> Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>  > I'm not really sure about using "sh*eb-*-linux*" to denote a
>  > GNU/Linux system using big endian code and data.  Is this triple
>  > new or has it been used somewhere else?  I'm not sure I can
>  > approve it if it's new.  Do we need it; do you know of any
>  > GNU/Linux big endian variant?  It's not used in e.g. bfd.  Is
>  > there an existing (non-SH-based) port where sh* would collide?
>  > Can Ben Elliston, the config.* maintainer, shed some light?
>
> It's not new (for me :-).  For GNU/Linux on SuperH Project
> (http://www.m17n.org/linux-sh/), there're for targets:
>
>         sh4-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh4eb-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh3-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh3eb-unknown-linux-gnu

We patch binutils/gcc configure to support the following configurations:

         sh4el-unknown-linux-gnu
         sh4eb-unknown-linux-gnu
         sh3el-unknown-linux-gnu
         sh3eb-unknown-linux-gnu

I don't think that defaulting to big or little endian is a good idea.
It leads to unnecessary confusion.  (As if there ever is necessary
confusion. :-))

There is no preferred endianity, explicit is better, IMO.

--
Michael Eager     eager@mvista.com	408-328-8426
MontaVista Software, Inc. 1237 E. Arques Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94085