Re: Binutuls is broken now.

> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:13:50 -0400
> From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>

> Stepping in in the middle here...
>
> IMHO, changing ld to no longer allow linking a chunk of binary data
> would be a Bad Thing.

We're *only* discussing the -r case; it sounds like you're
meaning generally.

> So, if we can allow binary without allowing other mixed-formats, that
> would be good.

No, I don't want to shut off linking mixed object formats in
general.

>  Better would be to fix bfd so that mixed formats works
> correctly whenever possible, and fail only if a specific case is
> detected that cannot be handled (rather than reject them
> categorically).

The special case of -r was recognized as not possible in general
when the patch H.J. referred to went in.  OTOH, his
follow-up-patch allows binary files with -r.  I'm objecting to
that it wasn't really known to work in the general case.

(...Ian's follow-up arrives:...)

> From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>
> Date: 18 Jun 2001 17:59:48 -0700

> > If we knew *that*, we still don't know if it works
> > with binary files and linking -r to *other* formats than ELF.
> > (Do you?)
> Yes, we know that that works too.

Ah, ok.  I have no objections to H.J:s change (per se) to enable
binary input with -r then.

brgds, H-P