Binutils status on Linux/MIPS?

I've been watching the thread about the impending release of 2.11.1 and
H.J.'s and others comments on trying to fix/cleanup Linux/MIPS -- what
*EXACTLY* is the current status of the tree that's in CVS relative to
Linux/MIPS?  Can I expect it to generate valid binaries?  What's the
position on Linux/MIPS and 2.11.1 -- is it officially supported?  It
seems that there hasn't been a lot of time put into getting Linux/MIPS
into a usable/stable condition and in light of the impending deadline
for releasing 2.11.1 what's going to happen?

Here's why I ask...as of 3 weeks ago, the CVS tree was NOT generating
valid binaries on Cobalt Qubes and RaQ 2s.  One of the changes I noticed
was the binary output format seems to have changed for Linux/MIPS --
why?

On my Cobalt machines, with the version of binutils that ships on Qubes
and RaQ2's, ld --version produces:

GNU ld 2.8.1
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no
warranty.
  Supported emulations:
   elf32lmip
   elf32bmip
   mipslit
   mipsbig

And doing file /usr/bin/ld produces:

/usr/bin/ld: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS RS3000_BE - invalid byte
order, version 1, dynamically linked, stripped

However, using the latest (apparently) stable RPMs for mipsel-linux from
Maciej W. Rozycki (binutils 2.10.91) I get the following from ld
--version:

GNU ld 2.10.91
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no
warranty.
  Supported emulations:
   elf32lsmip
   elf32bsmip
   mipslit
   mipsbig

And once again file /usr/bin/ld produces:

/usr/bin/ld: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS R3000_BE - invalid byte
order, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

What is the difference between elf32lsmip and elf32lmip?  Looking
through the parameter templates in ldscripts I don't see any major
obvious differences...but then again, I'm not overly familiar with the
inners of binutils.

And now...with the latest CVS as of about 8:30AM CDT, I can compile
binutils cleanly, but cannot get it to build any valid/executable
binaries that use shared libraries:

./ld-new --version produces:

lt-ld-new: error while loading shared libraries: failed to map segment
from shared object: cannot load shared object file: Invalid argument

Performing a file ./libs/ld-new gets:

./ld-new: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS R3000_BE - invalid byte order,
version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Building anything statically produces similar results.  Any
thoughts/help?

-HJD