strip(1) cannot find /what/?

[please cc replies to me also]

Built CVS binutils under Solaris 8 a couple days ago.  Today I tried
using them to bootstrap gcc+binutils, and while gprof was configuring its
libtool, ltconfig tried to do some feature tests on strip(1).  Actually,
I think all it wanted to do was get a version number, but trying to run
the executable in any way gives:

    % ./strip
    strip: Cannot find ELF`a`
    Killed
    %

Those three characters at the end show up as graphics or as text depending
on the terminal.

All of the other binutils executables are fine.  What's wrong with this one?

(There's no bug in binutils, I'm sure, but I'd like to find out what happened
so I can prevent it from happening again.  Seems to be some dynamic loading
issue, and this list probably knows more about such things than most.)

Phil