Re: x86_64 extensions of SSE2 instruction set

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Jan Hubicka wrote:

> cvsss2si %xmm0, (%rax)  is ambiguous
> (this is resolved in the Intel syntax by qword ptr or dwrod ptr keywords)
>
> Using the default scheme by adding 'l' or 'q' suffix don't seems to fit
> here nicely (imagine cvtsi2ssq).
>
> So I would suggest other naming probably:
> cvtss2si - always 32bit
> cvtss2sqi (convert scalar single to signed quad integer) - 64bit version.

I think it better to stick with the current scheme for the sake of
consistency.  It's hard enough to remember these mnemonics as it is
without having to remember that certain instructions have different rules
for suffixes.  In any case, there are plenty of other "funny looking"
instructions when you add a suffix.

Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.