DWARF2 and COFF?

Hi guys,
I've seen some messages from those involved with GDB that they will add
support for C++ debugging with the gcc 3.0 abi first with DWARF2 then stabs.
This got me wondering if dwarf2 could work with COFF (or at least the djgpp
flavor of COFF). At first, I only had to make a few tweaks, but then I ran
into problems with bfd/dwarf2.c which makes use of 'elf_tdata (abfd)-
>dwarf2_find_line_info' which obviously doesn't work in a COFF environment.

It is my understanding that while dwarf2 happens to be used by environments
that use ELF, it is not dependant on ELF. Assuming my understanding is
correct, can bfd/dwarf2.c be made generic or should I just give up?

Mark