Re: A symbol version patch for glibc 2.x compatibility

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 01:44:39AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> What this person wants to do (for months and months now) is having his
> way to recognizing Linux binaries.  He got repeatedly told (also by
> various other BSD people) that this is not the way to do it and also
> how to do it correctly.

And where is the __SPECIFICATION__ with this?? EI_OSABI __IS__ in the
spec.  Or do you also now follow the C and C++ ISO specs when working on
GCC [if you were to]?

> And now he even rose to the level of trying to argue about the meaning
> of this field (which he got explained in the past, too) although he is
> unqualified to make ultimate statements since from the audience here
> only HJ and I were present when the decisions about this were made.

Then why don't you _EXPLAIN_ why my reading skills seem to be off then?
Sorry but if only you and HJ were at the meeting and only you two seem to
know about this, that doesn't count.  Specifications count.

> You apparently have not even tried it.  Go on, do it.  Beside the fact
> that it would incorrectly flag non-conformance every binary you create
> would fail to run.

And why isn't this a bug in the Linux kernel then?

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)