Re: objcopy -I ieee

   From: "Tillman Reck" <Tillman.Reck@windriver.com>
   Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:04:03 +0100

   I tried to convert an IEEE-695 Object, originally coming from the Tasking
   TriCore Toolchain
   to elf32-Tricore with the following call:

   objcopytricore -I ieee -O elf32-tricore context.obj context.elf
   objcopytricore: context.obj: File format not recognized

   This was not successfully as the error message shows above.

I have no idea what elf32-tricore is, and I don't know what the
``Tasking TriCore Toolchain'' is.  The mainline sources have no
support for elf32-tricore.  I recommend that you contact the providers
of the tricore patches for help.

The error message indicates that objcopy does not recognize your IEEE
file.  Do some debugging.  The first place to look would be
ieee_object_p; perhaps your IEEE file uses a processor name which BFD
does not recognize.  I can't be sure, since I don't know how
elf32-tricore was implemented, and I don't know what processor name is
used in your IEEE file.

   b) Can objcopy be used to convert

   IEEE-695 --> elf DWARF 2.0 and
   elf DWARF 2.0 --> IEEE-695

   and what my be the limits.

In principle, this should work for the basic object file information.

However, converting debugging information between IEEE and DWARF
(version 1 or 2) is not supported in the current sources.  There is no
writer for DWARF debugging information in the current binutils.  I
believe the only supported targets for the conversion of debugging
information are stabs, COFF, and IEEE.  To fix this, you would need to
write a debug format writer along the lines of binutils/wrstabs.c.

   c) Which with toolchain was it tested, Microtech? others?

It was tested with the Microtech toolchain, and with test and sample
files available from HP.

Ian