Re: A patch for default version and archive

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com> writes:

>         If this is an external reference, just rename the symbol to
>         include the version string.  This will make the relocs be
>         against the correct versioned symbol.
>
> was checked by me as part of a patch I received from Eric Youngdale.
> I checked it in on March 9, 1997.

This is something different.  This happens when you link against a
versioned DSO.  Then a reference without version information gets
transformed into a reference with version and a known DSO.  This is
the core of the versioning idea.

With HJ's stuff the symbols come in versioned right away.  The
external reference is already versioned and this is not intended.