Re: A patch for default version and archive

   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
   Date: 14 Nov 2000 11:52:30 -0800

   "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com> writes:

   > tells me it was intentional.

   It's definitely not.  I was there when this code was written.

This comment in gas/config/obj-elf.c:

        If this is an external reference, just rename the symbol to
        include the version string.  This will make the relocs be
        against the correct versioned symbol.

was checked by me as part of a patch I received from Eric Youngdale.
I checked it in on March 9, 1997.

Sun Mar  9 23:49:12 1997  Ian Lance Taylor  <ian@cygnus.com>

	From Eric Youngdale <eric@andante.jic.com>:
	* config/obj-elf.h (struct elf_obj_sy): Define.
	(OBJ_SYMFIELD_TYPE): Define to elf_obj_sy struct.  Change all
	users.
	* config/obj-elf.c (obj_elf_symver): Just record the name.
	(obj_symbol_new_hook): Initialized versioned_name field.
	(elf_frob_symbol): If there is a versioned_name, either rename the
	symbol, or add an alias with that name.

It was followed shortly by a patch from Eric to reject using @@ in an
undefined symbol:

Tue Mar 11 01:13:31 1997  Ian Lance Taylor  <ian@cygnus.com>

	From Eric Youngdale <eric@andante.jic.com>:
	* config/obj-elf.c (obj_elf_symver): Check for duplicate or
	illegal symbol version names.
	(elf_frob_symbol): Check for external default versions.

I think it is clear that it was intentional on Eric's part.

Ian