Re: A patch for default version and archive

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:08:53AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> As far as I am concerned, this discussion is at the wrong level.  You
> are talking about textual string matching.  You should be talking
> about what it means.  Try writing this in a meaningful way without
> using the character @; after all, the @ character is, or should be, an
> irrelevant implementation detail.

Ok, let me try it again. Here is my take. I know Ulrich may not agree
with me. To me, symbol versioning provides a way to reference and
define a symbol with a version. For a reference to the symbol "foo"
and version "ver1", it can only be resolved with the definition of
the symbol "foo" and version "ver1". There are 2 different versioned
definitions:

1. The normal versioned definition. The normal versioned definition of
the symbol "foo" and version "ver1" can only resolve the reference
to the symbol "foo" and version "ver1".
2. The default versioned definition. The default versioned definition
of the symbol "foo" and version "ver1" can resolve the reference
to the symbol "foo" and version "ver1" as well as the reference to
the symbol "foo" without any version. It can also be overriden by
another default versioned definition or a definition without version.

The symbol resolution should follow the normal ELF linker rule.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)