Re: crash with --gc-sections

   From: Philip Blundell <pb@futuretv.com>
   Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:45:19 +0000

   I'm experiencing a linker segfault with --gc-sections.  The problem seems to
   be that elf_gc_mark is trying to visit the *ABS* section, which is stored in
   read-only memory.

   The trivial patch below causes the special sections like *ABS* and *UND* to
   start out with their gc_mark flag already set.  Does that seem reasonable?

The patch may be right, but why is the garbage collector visiting the
*ABS* section?  I can't see any obvious reason that that should
happen.  I generally recommend against fixing symptoms without
understanding the underlying problem.

Ian