arm-elf-ld flag copying

I've noticed that flags such as APCS_26 are being thrown out by the linker.

$ arm-linux-as -mapcs-26 -o t.o t.S
$ arm-linux-readelf -a t.o | grep Flags
  Flags:                             0x8
$ arm-linux-ld -r t.o -o t2.o
$ arm-linux-readelf -a t2.o | grep Flags
  Flags:                             0x0
$

This is caused by the following code in elf32_arm_merge_private_bfd_data,
as far as I can tell:

      /* If the input is the default architecture then do not
         bother setting the flags for the output architecture,
         instead allow future merges to do this.  If no future
         merges ever set these flags then they will retain their
         unitialised values, which surprise surprise, correspond
         to the default values.  */
      if (bfd_get_arch_info (ibfd)->the_default)
	return true;

Would it do any harm to remove this, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

p.