Re: Feature request: .section$key

Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> writes:

> The PE format has what seems like a useful feature, such that sections
> starting with .foo$ are collapsed at link time into the .foo section.

What is it exactly you want to achieve with this?  If this is done
only at link time the only difference to the current behavior is that
the binary will not contain the information about the sections which
is a bit more compact.  What I really don't like at all about this is
magic with names.  Yes, BFD does it today but it is a horrible idea.
If this behavior is needed then there should be a way to describe this
in ELF and not in names.